I'm trying to make more of an effort to step out from behind the camera and get in the picture. I'm also trying to make an effort to share more about ME.
I'll start by keeping it real. In the blogging world, it's all about appearances, and I completely get that. I could include a picture of me posing in a really cute outfit while I'm out and about like many bloggers do. But the reality is, I don't think I even had more than 30 seconds to myself today. Even if I wanted to, finding the time to pose for a shot that made me look pretty and put together would have been impossible today.
Dylan took this picture of me tonight while he was annoying his sisters (what he does best these days) by continuously snapping pictures of them. It's about as real as it's going to get.
After a nonstop day of getting kids off to school, a birthday party drop-off and pick-up (On a Thursday afternoon...what?!?), constantly wiping Liam's runny nose caused by his sinus infection, spending WAY too much money on a new car seat, helping Dylan with hours of homework, trying to figure out an increase in our insurance, and dealing with all the other chores and responsibilities, I was DONE.
My head was pounding, and it was nearing the point of becoming a migraine. I took some medicine, felt grateful that I had dinner cooking in the crockpot, put on my pjs, then chugged a very strong cup of tea in front of the fire. I sat there, just thinking about all the things I had to check off my to do list before I could go to bed. I sat there, completely immune to the chaos that was occurring around me.
That, my friends, is my fashion shot. That's me with faded makeup, tired eyes, pjs, and a pounding headache. And I'm not the least bit embarrassed to post it. Because even though I was stressed and not feeling my best, I was HAPPY.
Here are 27 random facts about the tired, overworked, but oh so thankful mom behind the blog:
1. I'm the youngest of 8 children. My oldest sister is 15 years older than me and the next youngest sibling is 6 1/2 years older than me. All of my siblings are my half siblings. My dad had 2 daughters and a son from a previous marriage and my mom had 4 daughters. They got married and had me. I don't use the "half" title. They are just my sisters and brother.
2. Because they were older than me, I had many years as an "only" child.
3. I became an aunt at age 5. I'm closer in age to my nephew (and two nieces) than I am to my siblings!
4. I now have 16 nieces and nephews and 7 great nieces and great nephews (+1 on the way)!
5. If you read yesterday's post, you know that I met Grant in a musical called "The Apple Tree" and we starred as Adam and Eve. I have been with him for my ENTIRE adult life.
6. I always wanted 4 kids. Grant wanted 1. Maybe 2. Obviously, we compromised! If we had a bigger house, I would totally push for a fifth!
7. After having Liam, I feel a strong urge to foster or adopt a child who has Down syndrome. It breaks my heart that so many children are unwanted due to a very misunderstood genetic condition.
8. Once upon a time, I acted and modeled.
9. My other passion is musical theater. Prior to having kids, performing ruled my life. I attempted one show after having Dylan and it was way too much to juggle. I miss it so much. For now, I settle for torturing my kids with show tunes. Every time I see a show, I get that itch...
11. I'm afraid of the dark. I will run to my bedroom at night after turning off all the lights!
12. Losing my loved ones is my worst fear.
13. I hate selfies. Hate them! They just make me feel incredibly awkward. I much prefer having someone in the picture with me!
14. I love sweets. Chocolate is my addiction.
15. I don't drink alcohol. At all. I hate the taste. It's also a control issue. I don't like the "numbing" factor that comes from drinking.
16. I used to be able to read one book a day.
17. I was really smart in school, received a bunch of academic scholarships, and was accepted at all the colleges I applied to. Sometimes life goes in a different path, though. That was NOT my path in life. Occasionally, I feel like I missed out on the traditional college experience, but I don't regret anything. I have everything I need right at this very moment. That being said, I embrace my inner nerd. I love trivia, word games, and algebra. I enjoy learning about anything and everything!
18. I'm always cold, even in the summer. I take a sweatshirt everywhere I go and I really dislike central air!
19. I have to sleep with a very soft, fuzzy blanket covering me. No preference on the blanket. It just has to be super soft!
20. I hate conflict. I have the ability to be able to see both sides of the argument (in most cases). I try to stay neutral and stay away from the drama!
21. I'm very loving and empathetic. I have the most difficult time saying no to people. I just want to help everyone. I always take on more than I should handle!
22. I am so emotional and I cry over EVERYTHING. It's really embarrassing at times!
23. I prefer hot tea over coffee. I drink it every single day.
24. I shop WAY too much.
25. Every time I leave the house, I make sure I look put together. I have to wear a nice outfit, brush my hair, and put on a little bit of makeup. If I'm staying home all day and not expecting any visitors, I wear comfy clothes and stay makeup-less. If I'm out and about, I change back into comfy clothes as soon as I possibly can after I arrive home!
26. I stay up WAY too late. Going to bed between 1-2 AM is the norm for me. It's just the only time I can truly get things done!
27. I absolutely love being a mom. I know it sounds cliche, but I feel like I was meant to be a mom. I was meant to have Dylan, Lexie, Lily, and Liam. I was meant to raise a child with special needs and I was meant to spread the word about what Down syndrome is REALLY like. I am not ashamed to say that raising kids is my life, and I wouldn't trade this life for anything in this world!
That's me summed up in 27 facts. I'm certain that summary is missing a lot of information, but I'll fill in the gaps another day!
Now I want to hear one fact about YOU.
TWITTER // FACEBOOK // INSTAGRAM // BLOGLOVIN // GOOGLE+ // PINTEREST