DISCLOSURE: This post was sponsored by Speedo USA. I received Speedo products as compensation.
Spring has arrived and the weather is warming up in Pittsburgh! In just a few months, the kids will be out of school, and we will be logging in many hours at the pool, beach and splash pad.
Spring Fever is kicking in hardcore, and I’m eagerly shopping for Summer clothing. Sundresses are hanging in our closets, shorts are folded up in drawers, sandals and flip flops are ready to be worn and our swimsuits are waiting for the first pool day of the season.
There was only one thing left to do, and it’s a task I dread every single year: Shopping for MY swimsuit! Shopping for a swimsuit for yourself is never fun, but once you become a mom, shopping for the perfect suit is a bit more difficult.
Motherhood makes your body and your lifestyle change in so many ways. Swimsuits that you once loved may no longer be the perfect fit. Nobody wants to sacrifice style for function, but there are plenty of swimsuits out there for moms that are both stylish AND functional. Finding the perfect “Mom Suit” is a challenge, but it can be done!
I teamed up with Speedo USA to show you just how easy it can be to find a swimsuit that’s right for you! Here are 10 tips to help you find the perfect “Mom Suit.”
The easiest solution is to remain in the comfort of your home, and browse through a selection of swimsuits while your children sleep. Speedo USA has an amazing collection of comfortable suits that are perfect for women of every shape and size!
2. Measure! I cannot stress this enough. The key to getting the perfect fit is to take every measurement before you purchase your swimsuit. Most websites have a convenient sizing guide to help you get the perfect fit. In my experience, if one of your measurements falls right in between sizes, it’s best to stick to the smaller size when it comes to swimwear. You certainly don’t want a fit that’s too loose, especially with little ones around! Trust me!
3. Figure out which problem spots you want to hide. Although we should love our bodies as is, every mom has a body feature that bothers them. Figure out which body part makes you feel the most self-conscious, and find a style that will camouflage that spot. It helps so much to wear a swimsuit that makes you feel confident!
Do you want to camouflage a mom belly? Try a shirred swimsuit! Not feeling so confident about showing your legs? Try board shorts. Long torso? Try a bikini or a tankini!
4. Keep your kids in mind while you shop. Picture what it’s like to take young kids to the pool or the beach, and imagine what kind of swimsuit you will need to keep up with them. I need a swimsuit that will stay put as I chase after my Toddler Tornado, that will keep everything covered when I bend over, and that stays in place despite tiny hands grabbing me all day long!
I also needed a suit that I could wear while running errands to and from the pool, and one that I could wear if I decide to go for a walk/jog on the beach. I opted for the Blouson Tankini and the Texture Stripe Hipster.
The layered top looks like a piece of athletic wear and covers the spots I feel most self-conscious about, and the bottoms stay put no matter what, thanks to the silicone gripper on the inside of the suit!
5. Choose a flattering color. Black is always a great choice, because it’s slimming. But sometimes, a pretty pop of color will overshadow the parts you worry about the most!
6. Get a second opinion before you buy. I have a friend who is a pro at giving constructive criticism. Anytime I doubt something or can’t make up my mind, I always consult her. She always steers me in the right direction! If you are having a difficult time making a decision, just ask somebody you trust and get their opinion. But above all else, go with your gut! If you like it, that’s all that matters!
7. If you try on the suit and hate it, don't give up. Returning something that you bought online is such an easy process these days. If the swimsuit arrives, and it doesn’t fit right, or if you just don’t like it, return it! There is another swimsuit out there that is perfect for you!
8. Never underestimate the power of a good cover up. A cover up is a mom’s best friend! Whether it’s a tunic, a dress or shorts, find something that works for you! We lead an active lifestyle, so I opted for the 4-Way Stretch Short.
These shorts slip on very quickly and easily, which is essential when you have a kid who moves at lightning speed! They are so comfortable, and they keep up with my active kids and my busy lifestyle! Plus, the cut offers a flattering fit for any body type.
9. Don't forget the accessories! Now that you have the suit and the cover up, don’t forget the extras! I have a few favorite must haves from Speedo USA!
Printed Headband: A mom bun is my go to hairstyle for spending the day at the beach or the pool. This printed headband works great to keep back all the unruly tendrils that threaten to slip out of my top knot!
Flip Flops: These On Deck Flip Flops are great for a day at the pool, but they’re also all-purpose for everyday use. They are padded, so they offer a very comfortable fit, and the non-slip soles grip the ground as I chase after my kids. My favorite feature is the fact that they wipe clean very easily. Let’s face it…life with kids can be VERY messy!
Water Shoes: I have a confession. I HATE walking into the water at the lake or the ocean. I cringe every single time my feet touch something I can’t see. My kids, however, love to be in the water, so I have to go in with them. These Surfwalker Pro 3.0 Water Shoes are going to be amazing for our days spent at the beach. They are comfortable, I can run after kids in them and they can get wet. Even if they are soaked, they dry very quickly after I remove them. Thanks to the comfortable fit, I can wear them all day and do anything in them! I have a feeling I will be wearing them all Summer!
Beach/Pool Bag: A roomy bag is a must when you have kids. The Deluxe Ventilator MeshBag was very impressive! I didn’t look at the dimensions, so I was very surprised at how big it was when it arrived!
This drawstring backpack-style bag comes in a wide variety of colors and is made with mesh so it dries quickly. The interior of the tote is very spacious and easily holds 6 towels and our necessities. The tote also has a large, exterior zipper pocket that is perfect for small items that are easily lost, a mesh pocket that fits a pair of adult shoes, and a little protected pocket for a pool pass, license or ID card on the back. I love the fact that I can carry everything we need and have my hands free to herd my kids around!
10. Try not to be overly critical and remember the reason why you are shopping for a "Mom Suit." I completely understand that this is easier said than done. But please remember that you are beautiful no matter what your body looks like, and there’s a wonderful reason (or two or three or four) why you are shopping for a Mom Suit. The human body is an amazing thing, and the scars and flaws left behind after carrying a human being is a beautiful reminder of what you accomplished!
Thanks to durable, quality products from Speedo USA, I am officially all set for a Summer full of fun with my crew!
Privacy Disclosure: My blog may contain links to other websites. I am not responsible for the privacy policies of those other websites. When you click on a link, your information may be collected by those websites so I encourage you to read their privacy policies.