I said it before, and I will say it again and again: I can't believe I have a 10 year old!!!
Dylan turned 10 back in November, so I've had almost nine months to adjust to the idea. I'm still in denial! How can I possibly have a 10 year old? Wasn't he just born yesterday? (He WAS. Don't tell me otherwise!)
When we were expecting our first baby, I prayed daily for a girl. I wasn't sure I would know what to do with a boy. Even during labor and delivery, I kept hoping for a girl. But the moment I laid eyes on him, all my fears disappeared and I instantly fell in love. He was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. ALL I wanted was him.
Somehow I blinked, and 10 years passed by. Ten entire years. Gone by in a flash.
And in that span of 10 years, my baby boy turned into a big kid.
He no longer fits in my arms. I can barely pick him up. I can't even recall the last time I carried him. When he hugs me, the top of his head presses against my chin. Those middle of the night trips into our bedroom to curl up in between us ended many years ago. He can do everything himself and rarely asks for help.
I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I definitely feel a disconnection from him at times. He's growing up and growing away from us. My sweet, well-behaved, compassionate, loving, ANGEL of a boy is starting to show a hint of an attitude. He's starting to talk back and roll his eyes when we say no. He gets bored staying at home and wants to have sleepovers with his friends as often as possible. I never thought this day would come.
Although there are times when I have to bite my lip to fight back a scream of frustration, that incredibly sweet, innocent, loving, compassionate boy is still there. His teachers and other parents rave about him. He treats everyone with kindness and compassion. He is an incredible big brother and his love for his siblings is evident in every picture I take. He is SO good that it makes those frustrating moments when he's testing us so much harder to deal with.
He's growing up, but I see that sweet little boy every time I look into his eyes. Those same big blue eyes that gazed into mine when he was a preterm newborn. That shone with pride as he took his first steps toward me. That filled with tears when he got hurt. That begged me not to leave on his first day of school. That filled with love every time he met a new sibling. That sparkled with happiness almost every single day of his life. Those same eyes that are able to express without a word just how much he loves his family. And when he stares at me and smiles, I realize nothing has really changed.
Dylan is truly an amazing kid and I am absolutely HONORED to be his mom.
Because I completely forgot to post it this year, here is Dylan's 10 Year Interview:
Stats: 4'10" and 65 lbs
1. FAVORITE COLOR? Blue
2. FAVORITE TOY? WWE Toys (Favorite Wrestler? John Cena!)
3. FAVORITE CHARACTER? Spongebob
4.FAVORITE SUPERHERO? Batman
5. FAVORITE FRUIT? Plums
6. FAVORITE VEGETABLE? Peppers
7. FAVORITE BREAKFAST? Pancakes
8. FAVORITE CEREAL? Corn Pops
9. FAVORITE LUNCH? Mayo, meat, and cheese sandwich
10. FAVORITE DINNER? Steak and Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
11. FAVORITE DRINK? Mountain Dew
12. FAVORITE SNACK? Welch's Fruit Snacks
13. FAVORITE RESTAURANT? The Deck House
14. FAVORITE TV SHOW? Spongebob Squarepants
16. FAVORITE ACTOR? Debby Ryan
17. FAVORITE SONG? Eminem - Rap God
18. FAVORITE SINGER/BAND? The Misfits
19. FAVORITE BOOK? Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
20. FAVORITE BOOK SERIES? Harry Potter
21. FAVORITE OUTFIT? Jeans and a T-shirt with high tops
22. FAVORITE GAME? Candy Land
23. FAVORITE SPORT? Baseball
24. FAVORITE ANIMAL? Frog
25. FAVORITE PLACE TO GO? McConnell's Mills State Park
26. FAVORITE THINGS TO DO? Play with wrestlers and play video games
27. FAVORITE SUBJECT? Science
28. FAVORITE DAY OF THE WEEK? Friday
29. FAVORITE MONTH? November
30. FAVORITE SEASON? Fall
31. FAVORITE HOLIDAY? Christmas
32. WHO IS YOUR BEST FRIEND? Jack
33. WHO DO YOU LIKE TO PLAY WITH? Jack, Dominic, Drew, Cole, and Evan
34. WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY? My family
35. WHAT SCARES YOU? Spiders
36. WHAT MAKES YOU SAD? When one of my siblings gets hurt
37. WHAT DO YOU WISH FOR? I wish that I could have Lebron James high tops
38. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MEMORY? When we went to the hospital to meet Liam
39. WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GROW UP? WWE Wrestler
40. DISLIKES? Blueberries
TEN YEARS OLD. Yep. I'm still in denial!!! My sweet baby boy, he will always be!